Saturday, February 11, 2012
One Hundred and Fifty Years Ago: Arkansas Broken Into Military Districts
From The Arkansas Toothpick:
One hundred and fifty years ago, Arkansas newspapers were busily reporting the goings-on from governmental and military officials in hopes of drumming up more support from the citizens of this state. One editor commented, in fact, that “It is undeniably true that the number of men furnished by certain sections of the State is grossly inadequate to the amount of population, and to the capacity and bounden duty of those sections to turn out soldiers for the defense and honor of the government.”
By the second week in February 1862, four military divisions of the Confederate Army existed in Arkansas:
First Division: The countites of Benton, Crawford, Yell, Carroll, Franklin, Scott, Madison, Johnson, Sebastian, Searcy, Pope, Newton, VanBuren, Marion, Conway, Washington and Perry.
Second Division: The counties of Saline, Dallas, Hot Spring, Calhoun, Montgomery, Ouchita, Polk, Union, Sevier, Columbia, Pike, Lafayette, Hempstead and Clark.
Third Division: The counties of Pulaski, Jefferson, Prairie, Bradley, Monroe, Drew, Phillips, Desha, Arkansas, Chicot and Ashley.
Fourth Division: The counties of White, Jackson, St. Francis, Independence, Crittenden, Izard, Mississippi, Fulton, Poinsett, Lawrence, Craighead, Randolph and Green.
A stern warning appended the above: “All or either of whole Divisions failing to report the number of men respectively assigned to them by the said 5th of March, will be subject to a draft, by counties, until their due proportions according to population is furnished to fill the requisition made upon the State by the general in command.”